Help, Healing, Hope
The Journey is a group designed to help hurting people. It is based on biblical teaching rather than psychological theory, and it is made up of regular people just like you and me--people who are ready to embark on a journey toward wholeness.
The Journey is a place to find real recovery from our hurts, hang-ups, and habits. It is a group designed to show all of us the love and healing power of Jesus Christ.
The Journey is for anyone with the courage to be open, honest, and vulnerable about the challenges in their life. We are all struggling with something, and The Journey is where we have the opportunity to be completely transparent, authentic, and compassionate with each other as we go through the process of recovery together.
The Journey is a place to learn that our identity is not found in our weakness and struggles but is found in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. It is a place to learn that our problems are not stumbling blocks but stepping stones.
The first thing everyone needs to know is it's anonymous and safe. It is led by a team of committed individuals who have gone through the recovery process. These leaders are not mental health professionals; they are regular folks willing to share their experiences, strengths, and hopes as they walk the journey with you.
The Journey meets on Thursdays at Southern Hills Baptist Church from 6:00 P.M. to 8:30 P.M.
A typical Journey meeting consists of a Large Group and a Small Open-Share Group. Large Group is a time to set aside the stress of life and come together as one large group for prayer, praise and worship, and teaching. Small Open-Share Groups are divided by gender and provide a place for each participant to connect with other members. It is a time to share our thoughts and experiences concerning the Large Group Teaching.
After you have attended The Journey for a while, you have the opportunity to join a Step Study Group. It is here that you will go deeper into the recovery process. This is when the real, lasting changes will start to happen.
- Do I use food, sex/pornography, relationships, alcohol, or drugs to cope with life's problems?
- Do I love someone struggling with destructive behaviors such as pornography, gambling, drugs, or alcohol?
- Do I have trouble setting limits?
- Do I sacrifice my identity, desires, or needs to make others feel good about themselves?
- Do I act kind on the outside but feel bitter on the inside?
- Do I raise my voice to get my way?
- Do I struggle with body image?
- Do I know the right thing to do but don't do it?
- Do I know something is wrong but do it anyway?
- Do I live with someone who abuses me physically, sexually, or emotionally or feel the continued effects from past trauma and abuse?
- Do I want to have a stronger, deeper, more fulfilling relationship with Jesus?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, welcome to The Journey. You will learn you are not alone when you share your hurt, habit, or hang up with those in The Journey. The most common response you will hear is, "Me, too."
Chris has been involved with The Journey Program for more than 23 years. Starting as a member of a step study group, he completed the program and has continued to serve in a leadership role for the past 20 years. Jennifer has been by his side through it all, and the two of them have worked with married couples to encourage them, support them, and show them that there is hope.